6.13.2004

Wrongful Imprisonment

So... I'm reading Margaret Cho's blog -- you should all check it out because she's wicked smaht -- and then I read these entries that pertains to letters from Damien Echoles. And, of course, I'm like, who the fuck is that? (He actually writes rather well...)

Well... he is apparently one of three boys (Referred to as "The West Memphis Three") who have been charged and convicted for what was deemed as "Satanical" ritualistic murders of three younger boys (who would be about my age right now) around '93. Jessie and Jason (the other two of the three) were sentenced to life, I believe, with one without possibility of parole, and the other getting life plus 40 yrs (dunno about parole)... Damien, however, got a more harsh sentence -- death by lethal injection.

Well, you might be thinking to yourself... 'And? So, what? They got what they deserved.'

Unfortunately... the boys weren't given a chacne to even prove themselves innocent... the boys' trials were quite unfair, really. A confession from a mentally-handicapped boy, coerced for that matter, accusing the other boys; shoddy work of evidence collecting and complete lack of a connection between the boys and the crime itself. The police ignored tips and more plausible suspects because of black clothing and hair, and their preference of music genera... a mass fear of satanic cult/activities... and too many various factors led to their unfortunate demise...

They all either have pending appeals or is gathering evidence in further investigations led by the firms that represent them...

I'm going to watch the documentaries tomorrow regarding the west memphis three "Pardise Lost" and "Paradise Lost II"... then hopefully, I can get back to y'all some more about this atrocity regarding the six victims -- the 3 murdered kids and the 3 individuals who have been rotting away in prison for 11 years...

If you are interested in either supporting or even just reading about these boys, go here .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home